Friday, January 20, 2012

Calendar

On the first of the year started using a calendar dedicated to my riding. This gives me an overview of where I ride and how many miles. It also let's me pencil in all the rides I want to do this year :) 
My mileage is a bit of guess work because the MTN bike I'm riding doesn't have a computer thingy on it. I use MapMyRide.com to figure out my miles. I could put a computer thingy on it but it's not my bike and they don't always work well when the weather gets cold. The one on my road bike has indicated that on one of my rides my maximum MPH was 99; I"m thinking that might not be accurate :)
Minnesota has finally decided to turn down the heat and bring on some snow. Yesterdays ride was my first below zero ride. Both the temperature and windchill were below zero; how far below I don't know. I'm not big on checking the weather. When it gets cold everyone talks about it so I have an idea. 
I stayed plenty warm on my ride but would like to change a couple things. I need to find a face mask that doesn't get wet and cold from breathing and doesn't fog my glasses. Yesterday I used my goggles which worked much better. I'd also like to get better riding shoes. I'm thinking maybe hiking boots; something I can put thicker socks into and is wind/rain proof. 
It looks like I'll be riding in the snow today. Not the big fluffy stuff that is fun but the icy pellet snow; ick! This will also make the roads slippery so I'll head to the bike trails. I'm really fortunate that I have both the Gateway trail and the Bruce Vento trails within 1 mile from my house. 

No comments: