Thursday, July 11, 2013

90 miles

We zig zagged out of Duluth and onto the Bong bridge. The morning was overcast and foggy. Once across the bridge we zag zigged through Superior until we caught 13. At about the 28 mile mark I heard ping, ping,  ping while climbing a hill. I stopped and discovered that I had broken a spoke on my back wheel :( Not much I could do about it on the road so I just twisted it around another spoke and kept on pedaling.
At about mile 33 it started to rain and pretty much continued to do so for the rest of the ride.
Stopped in Port Wing for lunch - grilled cheese n fries - and to warm up. My body was frizzin' my feet felt like blocks locked onto my pedals. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to unclip and get off my bike without falling. Brrrr, I haven't been that chilled in a very long time.
Stopped at a place in Cornucopia looking for a bathroom and was directed to a restroom about a 1/2 mile down the road.  The restroom had one of those super high powered dryer which I attempted to use to dry my entire body! Spent quite a bit of time with that dryer! I think we need to get legislature to pass a law that all bathrooms are required to install these dryers!
The rain stopped for a wee bit after leaving Cornucopia but started again about 7 miles down the road and remained steady the rest of the ride.
The first thing I did when I arrived in Bayfield was to strip off my soaking riding gear and jump into a hot steamy shower in hopes of warming up.
The rain stopped and the sun came out about the time I got out of the shower and the evening turned out beautiful.
The group enjoyed a fabulous dinner outside followed by map reading and instructions for the next day.
I was in bed sawing logs by 9:30; I can't remember the last time I was that tired

No comments: