Saturday, September 20, 2008

3 Day Breast Cancer Walk

Received a text message at 0603 this morning, what the hell? I thought I was the only crazy person up at this hour. Nope, it was Margeaux; she could not sleep and wanted to know when I could be ready to ride. We texted back and forth, the marvels of modern technology, for about 20 minutes then I crawled out of bed and got the coffee pot started. I thought it was much too early to call Julie our other riding companion for the day but Margeaux said Julie was "a morning freak like you" but in any case I waited until 0700 to call.  

Lash and I went outside; Lash to pee and me to stand on the deck with my coffee and assess the day. It was a nice chilly morning, just the way I like it. I huddled with my cup of steaming hot coffee made from the finest Ethiopian, the birthplace of coffee, beans; freshly ground this morning. I then got online with Margeaux and we instant messaged each other until 7 when I called Julie. 

So I have Julie on the phone and Margeaux on IM, this just ain't right; it's way too early in the morning to be multitasking. By the time we figure everything out it's 0730 and we're burning daylight. I want to go to Black Bear Crossing in Como Park for breakfast so the plan is that Julie will leave her house at 0815 and ride to my house we will then ride to Lake Como and eat breakfast. Margeaux will meet us there. Whew, we have a plan.

0817 and Julie is in the front yard. I toss on some riding gear, grab my helmet, shoes, gloves and camelback and head out the door.  

The idea for the day was to ride along the route of the 3 Day Breast Cancer walkers and cheer them on. Margeaux, Julie and I each know people who were participating and we wanted to lend our support.

Julie and I head west on Hoyt Ave then turn South to Arlington and west again to Lake Phalen, we followed the Lake south to Wheelock Pkwy and turned west. We followed Wheelock Pkwy to Lake Como. A wonderful ride and a nice hill climb just after 35 E, which justified the cherry turnover I added to my egg and cheese croissant I ate for breakfast. 

Margeaux arrived at Como and the three of us took off heading North on Lexington Ave. Just after crossing interstate 694 we started seeing the first 3 Day walkers. We hooted, hollered and cheered them on. We continued on Lexington to County Rd E then rode East to Victoria where we made a pit stop to visit with the 3 Day walkers. Just as we decided to leave the area and continue North on Victoria my friend Loafy arrived. It was great to be able to see her and wish her luck on the rest of her walk. 

We headed North on Victoria, Julie took over the lead as we were off my map and I don't know that area too well. We continued North to Snail Lake Blvd and followed that East, what a great road. We saw lots of dogs, must have been a retriever convention or something, they were everywhere. We followed Snail Lake Blvd for a while then made a stop to decide on the rest of our journey. We grabbed the first street heading South and stayed on it until we got back on County Rd E where we turned West again. We caught up with the walkers on County Rd E and cheered them on. 

Margeaux and I stopped at a sub shop for lunch and Julie continued on home, poor girl had chores to do on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. After lunch Margeaux and I headed South on Victoria and followed the walkers turning West onto County Rd D, then South on Lexington Ave. We stopped at the Lake Josephine cheering station for a minute then continued South on Lexington. At Roselawn Margeaux and I parted ways, she heading back to Mpls and me heading home. I followed Roselawn East to Reservoir Woods Park where I followed the path through the woods. This is one of my favorite paths, its short but sweet. The route spits you out near McCarrons Lake, I followed the Blvd to Rice St. 

I again caught up the the 3 Day walkers, the last Cheering station was on Rice Street. I cheered on the walkers for a bit then followed Trout Brook Co. Trail to Arlington where I rode East to the Gateway Trail. I passed a lot of walkers along the way as this was the same route they were walking. I followed the Gateway Trail to White Bear Ave. where I zig zagged my way around Goodrich golf course, nearly getting hit by a golf ball. I think it scared the guy who hit it more than me. I told him better luck next time :) I arrived back home a little past 1330. Ahhh what a nice day for a ride. The weather was picture perfect. I have no idea how far I rode but it sure was a nice day.  

No comments: