Friday, April 8, 2011

Sights and Sounds

It's day 8 of my 30 Days of Riding Challenge and it's been great! I'm really happy that I took the challenge. I feel soooo much better since I started riding again. I hadn't realized how much this winter was getting to me. 

I observed some interesting things on todays ride. First, there is a lot of clothing on the side of the road, in parks and dumped around town. I don't know where this stuff comes from but I sure have seen a lot today. Under one bridge it looked like someone had just taken his/her pants off and left them there; weird.

As I was crossing the railroad tracks in downtown St. Paul I saw a hawk with a pigeon, he made sure I wasn't going to take it from him. He picked up the pigeon and carried it further down the tracks. I tried to explain that I'm a vegetarian but I guess he just didn't understand. 

On my way home I decided take the long way and to ride along the mighty Mississippi. With Shepard/Warner road closed to traffic because of the flooding I had the entire road to myself. It was great but a little disconcerting to be riding along a normally very busy stretch of road and have it entirely to myself. No traffic, no fellow bikers, walkers or anyone else; a little spooky. There's a small part of me that would like it if the road remained closed to traffic all the time.

No comments: