Saturday, July 19, 2008

StillH2o Loop

Had a super fun ride yesterday.  Margeaux and her friend Kimberly arrived at my house around 2ish, Margeaux had some mechanicals on her bike so we did not leave until nearly 3 but once on the road we had a nice ride.  Caught the Gateway trail off White Bear Ave and headed East.  Kimberly had wanted to do some off road riding and we all wanted to go to StillH2o, at about 694 you can catch a dirt trail that runs alongside the Gateway Trail.  I had not been on the trail so I was excited to check it out.  Kimberly and I both had mountain bikes and Margeaux had a hybrid, because the paved trail was right next to the dirt trail we figured we could ride either one and get to the same place.  The dirt trail was mostly hard packed with some gravel spots and I only encountered one horse and had to give way, a very nice horse I might add. Margeuax joined me for most of the dirt trail. I liked it and plan to ride it again.  At Pine Point we headed South on hiway 55 to hiway 12 (Mertle St.)  We made one stop so Margeaux could help a turtle cross the hiway, it was nearly made into turtle soup by a mini-van.  YAY Margeaux, you go girl!  Plenty of hills on hiway 55 but fortunately just as many downs as ups so it was a fun ride.  At Mertle we turned left and headed into downtown StillH2o. Kimberly took a right on Greely which we did not expect, personally I thought she was going to the ice cream shop but it turns out she misinterpreted what Margeaux and I had said, anyway we then took a left on Olive St. About two blocks down the street we encountered road construction, more dirt!! Margeaux and Kimberly turned back to Mertle and I opted for the dirt and heavy equipment route, the beauty of a mountain bike!  We caught up with each other at the Freight House restaurant for a snack. 
After some fries and beer we were back on the road.  Margeaux discovered she was losing air in her front tire so we made a pit stop at the gas station for air and got directions for a bike shop in the area. 

Now for the big climb out of StillH2o.  Each of us took a different route, Kimberly started her climb as Margeaux and I were at the gas station. Margeaux and I headed out on Mertle, where Margeaux turned off on 3rd street for a different route and I opted to try Mertle to the top.  Not a bad climb, I had done it last month with my road bike so I had an idea of what to expect, nothing like that Ramsey Hill. I had to get down into the Granny gears but success was mine, no walking that hill and I was still breathing at the top. As a side note, my knee is feeling pretty good still a bit bothersome but not bad. Once I reached the top I gave Margeaux a call, she was at the bike shop waiting for assistance, Kimberly was at a different location. After a bit of discussion I decided to head home and they would catch up with me at my house for beer and pizza.  

I rode hiway 12 (Mertle St.) back to the Gateway Trail. There is a paved trail that runs along hiway 12 so you don't have to deal with traffic. It also has a nice wide shoulder if you do choose to ride on it. A few hills before catching the Gateway but again nothing bad, nice rollers. West on the Gateway and I was home within an hour.  By the time Margeaux and Kimberly arrived I had showered, drank a recovery drink, iced my knee, had the pizza delivered and was cracking a beer.  Val, Tara and Raleigh came over to enjoy the backyard with us. Ahhhh summer in Minnesota, friends, pizza, beer and bikes, it doesn't get any better than this.

Here's a link to this route:

No comments: