Thursday, May 13, 2010

Things To Do Before Each Ride

Can you tell it's been raining in Minnesota, when it rains I write about riding instead of riding. Not that I can't ride in the rain I'll do it when I have to but....OK, I'll admit it; I don't like to ride in the rain. There I said it! So with no further ado... things to do before each ride:
  • Pump air into your tires before each ride, well that's if your tires need air. I always let a little air out of my tires after each ride so I always need to add air before each ride. I don't know why I started letting air out of my tires after riding but I do it every time so I guess it's just my thing. Anyway, find the manufacturer's recommended pressure by reading the PSI on the side of your tires. Don't inflate a tire beyond it's recommended tire pressure. And do NOT use the air thing at the gas station! Seriously, you take a chance of blowing your tire if you do. A hand pump works great. Invest in one.
  • Inspect your tires for any deep cuts or cracks and wear. When tires are worn and thin they are more susceptible to flats. Always carry a new spare tube, patch kit, tire changing tools and pump. I carry the CO2 cartridges, remember if you have Presta valves you need to also carry an adapter.
  • Check that your riding position is comfortable and that your leg is almost fully extended when pedaling. Check that your saddle is level and aligned with frame and that your saddle adjustment clamp and seat post clamp are tight. A small tilt up or down on your saddle can make a big difference on how comfortable you are. On long rides I will sometimes change my saddle position a little about halfway through the ride.
  • Lubricate your chain and derailleurs after every 40 miles of riding. Make sure all components are clean and free of lube buildup before lubricating. Lubricate your cables at cable stops. Don't forget to lubricate the pulleys on your back derailleur, they are the little sprockety things. I can tell you from experience if they dry out you will be listening to a nasty squeaking throughout your ride.
  • Check wheel alignment by picking up one end of the bike and spinning the wheel. Make sure the wheel spins true without any wobble or brake drag. This is especially important if you have just put your wheel back on after transporting it using your car. Also check spoke tension making sure they are tight. Check the quick release levers to make sure they are tight.
  • Always test your brakes by squeezing the brake levers to see if they engage properly. This is easily overlooked if you have just put your front tire on after transporting your bike via your car. Inspect the pads for wear and check the brake release levers to make sure they are engaged.
  • Always wear a properly fitted bike helmet. Bring enough water to keep yourself hydrated during a ride. Dehydration can cause leg cramps and fatigue.
That's all I got for you tonight. The weather forecast looks good so hopefully my next post will actually be about me riding my bike :)

Namaste

No comments: