Friday, August 29, 2008

Now I know why I don't have a girlfriend

Ok this is not exactly a bike post but it kinda is.  You see I received a call from a friend earlier in the day and we decided she would come over for beers after work, great, I haven't seen her since before I left for Las Vegas. My bike finally arrived today, after waiting like forever! The UPS driver pulled up as I was working in my front yard at around 1705, YAY, I was so happy and anxious to see how my bike survived. About 2 minutes after my bike arrived I received a call from my friend saying she was on her way and would be here shortly. 

My bike is in it's case, in the living room and I need to run to the liquor store to buy beer. As I come in the back door my friend is coming to the front door.  Hello, how are ya? Come in, we chat, we laugh, we have a nice evening; the entire time I'm thinking about my bike in the case, in the living room, how did it survive?  Is it OK? Is there any damage? I am not a bike fanatic but riding is one thing I can do. My neurologist says it's OK, my physical therapist says it's Ok and most importantly my body says it's Ok. Needless to say riding a bike is very important to me. There was a time when I was told I would not walk, so riding a bike really means a lot to me. I don't have to win any races, I don't have to be the best I just need to be able to do it. So anyway, here I am entertaining a friend of mine and all I can think about is whether my bike survived the trip from Las Vegas or not. At around 2100 she says she needs to go, I'm thinking Yes! I can check on my bike.  No hugs, no kisses, bye see ya later, drive safe. 

I don't think she was at the end of the driveway before I was opening the case and checking on my bike.  Twenty minutes later I had it put back together and on the trainer to see if everything worked.  That is when I realized; this is why I don't have a girlfriend. My last one would have understood, she was a competitive cyclist, don't know if I will find another. Think I will have to add this to the list; must understand the need to ride my bike. 

I know you're all waiting... Yes, my bike survived, it works! 

No comments: