Friday, August 1, 2008

Whew! Lotsa Water

I went for a super nice long ride today, started about 0930, my plan was to get started much earlier but just could not get motivated. Anyway, I grabbed the Gateway Trail off White Bear Ave and headed East to Pine Point/Hiway 55/Norell Ave, whatever you want to call it. I took that North to Square Lake Trail then headed East to May Ave. I turned Right (Northish)  on May Ave.  About 1/2 mile into it I discover May Ave is no longer paved, OOPS! I had to make a decision to turn back and find a different route or just keep going. I decided to "go for it", the road was hard packed dirt and rocks and fortunately it was not too dry so the riding was not as bad as it could have been. This would have been no problem with a hybrid or mountain bike but I was riding my road bike with skinny tires. Not much for traffic only three SUVs and one orange bobcat (the heavy equipment type not the animal variety)beautiful area, lots of trees, ponds and wildlife, well worth the dirt. After about 4 miles I hit 170th and turned Left, saw a wee little snapping turtle, that I wanted to take home with me.  

At Manning Ave I turned Right and headed North, experienced a little headwind but nothing bad. While traveling on Manning I observed one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time.  I saw a horse plop down on it's side, wiggle in the dirt, turn onto it's back, wiggle in the dirt, turn on the other side, wiggle in the dirt then get back up again.  I had to laugh out loud, it was just like my dog. 

A few miles on Manning and I came to Scandia Trail, took a Left, then a Right onto N. Shore Trail and headed North around Forest Lake.  I traveled along the Eastern and Northern part of the Lake, very nice, lots-o-money in Forest Lake. Not much of a shoulder so I had to be careful of the cars.  When I came to Hiway 61 I crossed over and headed South.  

I stopped at Big Apple Bagels for lunch, nice people and the manager gave me directions to the bike trail that runs along Hiway 61. After lunch I caught the bike trail and shortly after getting on the trail I spotted two fawns. At first I didn't think they were real, they were standing so still but as I approached them they moved, they were no more than 10 feet from me, I wanted to take them home too. 

I followed the bike trail to Hugo, turned Right on Hiway 8/Frenchman Rd and continued East till the end. I encountered lots of road construction around 35E. Hiway 8 brought me to the Lino Lakes area; I had a little trouble finding the bike trail and rode a few cul-de-sacs before locating it, that sucked! I traveled along the Rice Creek-Chain County Park bike trails not really knowing where I was and hoping it would take me to where I needed to go. I missed my sharp left turn and had to turn around and finally found Black Duck Drive. I zigged-zagged my way around to Centerville Rd and took that South to Hiway 96. Next time I think I will take Otter Lake Rd, it looks much more scenic. 

I headed East on 96 into White Bear Lake, took a wrong turn again and ended up going around the North side of the Lake instead of the South side.  What really sucks is I can't blame anyone but me, I should have been paying attention but I saw a bike path and just took it. Thank you so much to the man at the bait shop for giving me directions. I had to turn around again and catch the trail around to S. Shore Dr. A Right turn on McKnight and I was on my way home.

I had planned about a 65 mile ride but I'm sure I went beyond that with my mishaps.  You can check out this ride at map my ride. I think I'll tweak it a bit the next time I go out.

This was a really nice ride, I have to remember to bring sun screen next time, I was bakin' out there.  I discovered several more routes I want to explore. 

There's nothin' like a day on my bike.

No comments: